Spirituality and technology may seem to mix like oil and water. However, technology offers us new ways to keep our faith accessible and in the forefront of our thoughts and to practice it in innovative ways.
Can technology enhance spirituality?
We can keep technology, such as smartphones and tablets, with us at all times, so we can learn about and practice our faith whenever we want.
Technology keeps our faith accessible by offering holy books to download. It keeps our faith in the forefront of our thoughts with reminders. And it offers new suggestions to help us practice our faith.
Can an app enhance my spiritual practice?
Numerous spiritual apps are available for practices from Islam to Hinduism to Santeria. Christians can choose from apps focused on Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist, Presbyterian and other Christian beliefs.
Here are 10 free apps available for iPhone and Android:
1. Bible offers 1000 versions of the Bible in 780 languages. You can also make notes.
2. Insight Timer is a meditation app with a timer and soothing chimes. It gently guides you into and back out of a prayerful state.
3. Pray as You Go’s daily recordings are no more than 15 minutes long and include music, scripture readings, reflection, and prayer.
4. Centering Prayer app guides you through the 4 guidelines of the practice:
- Choose a sacred word as the symbol of your intention to consent to God’s presence and action within.
- Sitting comfortably and with eyes closed, settle briefly, and silently introduce the sacred word as the symbol of your consent to God’s presence and action within.
- When you become aware of thoughts, return ever-so-gently to the sacred word.
- At the end of the prayer period, remain in silence with eyes closed for a couple of minutes.
5. Tao Te Ching provides lessons in self-awareness. No matter what practice you follow, the sayings in this book are sure to strike a chord.
6. Rumi Quotes presents the sayings of the 13th-century poet and mystic that inspire people of all faiths.
7. DVO: Daily Devotionals, Bible Verses and Quotes focuses on the eternal with daily devotions, thoughts and conversations about faith.
8. iTorah provides a complete English translation of the Torah.
9. Muslim Pro gives accurate times for prayer and holy days.
10. Daily Horoscope is the top horoscope app for Android and iOS.
Find these apps by searching the App Store or Google Play on your smartphone.
What are the benefits of spirituality apps?
Spirituality apps provide benefits in two ways: They make taking part in spirituality practices easier, and they act as reminders to engage in spirituality practices.
The goal of any spiritual practice is to bring you closer to your spiritual goal, whether that is being closer to God or becoming more enlightened. However, most religions and belief systems include some sort of guided meditation through prayer, chanting, dancing or mindfulness.
Experts say engaging in such practices reduces depression, anxiety, and stress.