When is the right time to move to a retirement community? There’s no one answer for every situation, but if you are finding it difficult to maintain a home, are feeling socially isolated, or have already started downsizing, then now is a good time to start your search!
There are numerous benefits to downsizing your belongings so you can upsize your life in a new community. Independent and assisted living communities offer older adults the opportunity to enjoy their retirement in safe, socially active surroundings with others who are at a similar point in their lives. This makes it easier to make friends and enjoy the time you have doing the things you love.
Benefits to Independent Senior Living
As you consider your needs and options at this stage of your life, consider all the ways that you will be upsizing your life when you downsize to a senior living community like The Esquiline.
- Live maintenance-free. If you are tired of shoveling snow, raking leaves, and worrying about when you’ll need to replace the roof next, an independent living community is the perfect solution. All maintenance is taken care of by the community, and if your dishwasher goes out, you don’t have to worry about finding someone to fix it or ordering a new one. It’s all taken care of when you give maintenance a call to help.
- Expanded social life. As we get older, friends and family often move away or pass on, leaving many seniors increasingly isolated. When you move to a senior living community, you will be among others at the same stage of life, and have a host of opportunities to engage with and meet new people. Whether it’s sitting down to lunch with a new dining partner or connecting with a kindred spirit during water aerobics, there are numerous ways to make friends when they are literally just steps away!
- Security and safety. Senior living communities are all designed with resident security and safety in mind. The grounds and rooms are all accessible for those with various mobility needs, and there are safety bars in bathrooms and emergency call buttons should you require immediate assistance. This is great peace of mind not only for you, but for your loved ones, who may be worried if something happens to you in your home when you are alone.
- More free time for passion projects. Keeping up with a large home takes time. Aren’t there more interesting things you’d like to do in your retirement? When you move to an independent living community, you will get back more time to do the things you love. Have you always wanted to learn French, or play the piano? Maybe you want to be more engaged socially, or take up yoga? Joining a senior living community offers you not only more time, but also more opportunities to do the things you love with other like-minded adults.
- Less financial worry. Month-to-month expenses are easier to calculate when you are at a community with a single monthly fee that covers your living requirements. No more worries about unexpected house repairs or heating and cooling bills. Most communities even roll in the cost of one or two meals a day into the monthly fee.
Start Downsizing - And Start Living!
As you begin the transition to your next step in life, consider what the French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupéry wrote, “he who would travel happily must travel light.”
Downsizing can be a lot of work, but if you take it a step at a time, you’ll find that it is ultimately much easier than you fear. Most of what keeps us from starting a task is that we look at the whole process instead of breaking it down into parts.
Here are some useful tips and resources for your downsizing journey:
- Less is More: Making Your Home in a Smaller Space
- Read the Making the Move Guide
- Downsizing Checklist
Get additional downsizing and moving tips here.
Social and Physical Wellness at The Esquiline
At The Esquiline, living well—physically, intellectually, spiritually, and socially—is the cornerstone of our community. We encourage residents to embrace holistic living that balances their minds, bodies, and spirits to enrich their lives. Discover more about our commitment to holistic wellness here.