Spirituality is an important part of overall wellness, and from time to time we all need a little spiritual guidance.
Be it from spiritual leaders or a book that explores spirituality, these can both help us discover what dwells within us. It’s hard to navigate these ponderous questions on our own, which is why, in many cases, it’s best to seek advice from others who think similarly.
Books can provide us with much needed solace and understanding when it comes to spirituality. A great book will have keen insights on how we should view our purpose in the world, and we’ve collected a short list we think fits this criterion.
Our Top 5 Books
1. Being Mortal by Atual Gawande:
Simply a must read for anyone who works with or on behalf of older adults. The Esquiline Executive Vice President, Barbara Prosser, purchased a copy of this book for everyone on her leadership team as well as all the members of the Board of Directors.
2. The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield:
In 1992, author James Redfield self-published his first book, The Celestine Prophecy. Since its initial publishing, it has gone on to become the most successful self-published novel ever. The book is part adventure story and part New Age spiritual novel. This book details one man’s journey through Peru as he uncovers nine spiritual insights.
3. The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living by Howard Cutler:
Inspired by the Dalai Lama’s joyful nature, author Howard Cutler wanted to write a spiritual book focused towards a Western audience. The Art of Happiness talks about the importance and attainability of happiness in everyday living. The purpose of life is to find happiness, which is determined by one’s mental state, despite outside circumstances.
4. A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle:
In spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle’s book, A New Earth, the author talks about reducing the ego as a means to feeling the abundance of life, because the ego is the source of all inner and outer conflict. Tolle’s New Earth gained in popularity after Oprah selected it for her book club. Since then, Tolle’s book about the awakened consciousness has influenced millions.
5. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: by Deepak Chopra:
In his classic book, Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, Chopra discusses the importance of success in life. For Chopra, success is defined as happiness and the realization of goals, although success is not limited to wealth. Chopra lays down 7 laws found in nature used to create spiritual success. These laws include karma (cause and effect) and dharma (purpose in life). Chopra’s popularity lies in the way he is able to take ancient Vedic teachings and present them to a Western audience.
Other ways to get spiritually connected:
- Speak with your trusted priest, minister, or pastor. Speaking with someone who deals with this on a daily basis is always a good idea.
- Start meditating and reflecting daily. When you allow your brain to take a break and just relax and reflect will provide you with much needed perspective.
- Dedicate a time of day to prayer. Take a break in the middle of your day to spend time with God. When you set away a specific time of day, you hold yourself accountable but the benefits of prayer are immeasurable.
- Take up a yoga class. It’s relaxing for your mind and great for your body! It will also serve as a great social activity as well.
- Keep a journal. When you write things down, it becomes easy to understand your thoughts and feelings.